Wednesday, May 11, 2011

3 countries, 1 day

Petr came by to say goodbye. I had to get a picture of the brothers. Jarek has bed head, and Max insisted on chewing on the coaster, but I still think its a good picture.


Once again we didn't have anything planned for the day and I wanted to do something fun. I had the great idea to have three meals in three different countries. It sounds cool right? Well, sometimes ideas just don't work out as you planned. We had already had breakfast (in the Czech Republic) when I came up with the idea so the plan was to have lunch in Polland and dinner in Slovakia.

First issue -rain. It rained for hours, and so hard we could hardly see the sights. The picture below shows Polland's flag with the EU flag, on the border.





This town was half-way in the Czech Republic and half-way in Polland. The Czech side was buzzing like a normal work day. The Poland side on the other had was very quiet. Their Polish flags eveywhere and I figured they were just really patriotic. Who knew that May 3 is Constitution Day in Polland? We found one place open that said it was a restaurant, but was really just a smoky old bar. We took one step inside and and then took a step back out. So much for lunch in Polland.

Back in the Czech Republic


We stopped in this mountain resort town and decided to have lunch. It was a really cool little town. We figured we would have dinner in Slovakia. But no one warned us that the dishes would be so large and filling. We each ordered the same dish. When it came it was humungous and we mentioned our surprise to the waitress. Her response (translated of course) "Yeah, people usually just order one and share." That would have been useful information when we were ordering. We decided we would have desert in Slovakia instead.


The sights of Slovakia, as taken from a moving vehicle. The rain is back. It's very pretty.



Max in the backseat. I love how his arm is wrapped around Clyde.

I know the above picture is blury, but I love the excitement on Max's face as he got out of the car and into the carrier. I don't think he shared my enthusiasm of visiting three countries in one day.

It was getting late by the time we got to Slovakia. Most things were closed. And an ATM took our card but didn't give us any money. So much for desert in Slovakia. In the end we went to a grocery store and bought some chocolate bars. Jarek was excited to taste the candy bar and take some home to his friends who served missions in Slovakia. We learned later that while you couldn't buy them in the Czech Republic 7 years ago when Jarek was last here, you now can. So the thrill of going all the way to Slovakia for the candy bar was a little lost.

So, in the end I had breakfast and lunch in The Czech Republic and no dinner. Not what I planned for my spontaneous day. But I did still visit three countries in one day, and I guess that is still cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment