Tuesday, April 5, 2011

TIckets purchased!

So, we just purchased tickets to visit Jarek's family in a couple of weeks. I guess after 3 years of dating, one year of marriage and giving them a grandchild it is about time. I admit I am nervous for this trip. I have never met them, never visited the country where they live, and we don't speak the same language. But, I am always up for an adventure! Ever since I met Jarek I have been playing around with trying to learn check. But it is a very complicated language with entirely too few vowels and I have never taken learning it seriously because of the feeling that I will never master it anyway. But now that I am anticipating spending two weeks in an apartment with everyone speaking Czech but me I have found a new motivation. Last week I focused on numbers and I can now count from one to ten, as well as tell people that I know how to count from one to ten. And I made up a catchy song to help me remember it. I realize that the numbers one to ten and the bragging rights that I can do it won't get me far in two weeks, but its a start. Jarek said something to me in Czech a couple of days ago and my mind froze and then it was like a computer trying to search for the right file. And then it clicked, he was speaking Czech and (this is the exciting part!) there was a part of my brain that recognized it and translated it for me. Yeah! I have a czech part of my brain! Now, if I could just fill it with some helpful phrases in the next 18 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment